@Diddy Be a nice human. 1 day 7 hours ago
@JosephKahn RT : Family pit bull goes berserk -- viciously attacks two household members. 41-year-old Rodriguez Battle likely surviv… https://t.co/PK4p3oQzds 7 hours 45 min ago
@Videostatic Nick Murphy "Dangerous" (Najeeb Tarazi, dir.) https://t.co/qcYFaxVHfp 3 hours 10 min ago
@questlove coming soon from on in Oct 2019 our new docs series https://t.co/oOrpsmeP2a 1 day 2 hours ago
@JosephKahn In GAME OF THRONES they gave the kingdom to Bran. In real life, we gave it to Donald Trump. You tell me which one s… https://t.co/xoKp3cnxmy 19 hours 52 min ago
@questlove in 2002 i declared Bey the new MJ & they tried to cancel me. was right then & im right now: obviousl… https://t.co/zgqjIyL8Lz 23 hours 34 min ago
@katyperry If you need to get ur girl squad soundtrack ready for this weekend to play the “Girl Squad” playlist and… https://t.co/p8XjuID8xL 5 hours 8 min ago
@JosephKahn I started getting paid to direct videos 30 years ago. $40 for my first one. Thousands of music videos and commercia… https://t.co/38aAJ8YZ00 1 day 27 min ago
@questlove RT : Trump helped Saudi Arabia coverup the assassination of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi. A real president… https://t.co/qqoqB4ohmQ 1 hour 43 min ago
@keithscho Incredible! Everyone needs to watch this. Awesome work https://t.co/4KJUGQYLpd 1 day 3 hours ago
@questlove End of an era, start of a new. Less “work” & more bucket listing. Less “jobs” & more legacy building. Follow… https://t.co/2fvS6cAag9 1 day 22 hours ago
@questlove yeah BUT---Bey got a hell of a 20 year jumpstart. even if it all ended now: NOONE is letting https://t.co/HMusYgRTHl 1 day 44 min ago
@JosephKahn People write me unsolicited video treatments. 99% are super literal to the lyrics. The other 1% need psychiatric evaluations. 1 day 13 hours ago
@taylorswift13 I love you too! Thank you for having me! 12 hours 47 min ago
@JosephKahn Apparently famous rich older guys dating younger women is a completely unbelievable and unlikely concept. 1 day 3 hours ago
@questlove RT : The Espionage indictment of Assange for publishing is an extremely dangerous, frontal attack on the free press. Bad, bad, bad. 1 day 3 hours ago

IN DEPTH: Snoop Dogg "Sensual Seduction"

SnoopSnoop Music video director Melina knew this was not a typical Snoop Dogg song from the moment she heard it – and knew she had to get something different on screen. "Right from the beginning, Snoop was down for anything," says Melina, "and I knew it was going to be a lot of fun."

The visual touchstones were clips for Shalimar and Prince, but with a twist of humor. Melina notes, "The song is not too serious, so the video had to match. When we got to the set and Snoop was really going for it, it was amazing. He had all the dance moves and he really delivered a great performance. Snoop actually wanted to go further with a crazy Jheri Curl."

The dancers were shown clips of old Vanity 6 videos as references, and some mistakes and mis-steps were included in the finished video. The clip was shot on 16mm as well as a "vintage" video camera from the early '80s, that distorted some colors, but helped distill the look. As Melina worked with DP Omer Ganai, they purposefully zoomed and moved the camera at unexpected times – trying to mess each other up and catch the "seat of your pants" feel of early videos.

Snoop After the shoot was done there was even more fun to be had: The finished, on-lined clip was put through a regular VCR. "All along," Melina says, "I wanted to run the footage through a VCR, but it turns out that nobody had one. We went to a shady pawn shop in Santa Monica and bought a used VCR and ran the video through that three separate times to get just the right degraded, old school look." Melina also gave a shout-out to the guys at Baked Goods who created the classic video effects and the look of a VHS tape starting and stopping that bookends the video.

"That job was so much fun,' says Melina, "I wish I could do more videos like that."

--> watch "Sensual Seduction" via YouTube
(come on, it was shot on video and on-lined through a VCR 3x. YouTube compression just adds to the charm!)

Snoop Dogg "Sensual Seduction" (Geffen)
Melina, director | Steven Johnson, producer | Factory Features, production co | Omer Ganai, DP | Jarrett Fijal, editor | Baked Goods, vfx (note: Melina remains signed with Black Dog Films)

Recent Tweets