The Music Video Production Association (MVPA) used a December holiday party to officially announce the winners of their 17th Annual Awards Show.
Nominees were originally announced in May — hence the fact that all of the winning below are over six months old — but the planned awards ceremony was delayed and then eventually scaled back to a party/announcement event.
Winners as follows, with awards given to the director and production companies, or to the appropriate technician...
DIRECTOR OF THE YEAR: Melina, of Black Dog Films for:
- Beyonce "Upgrade U "
- Eve "Tambourine "
- Snoop Dogg "Sensual Seduction"
GENERAL DIRECTION CATEGORIES
- Best Animated Video: Dom and Nic of Oil Factory for The Chemical Brothers "Salmon Dance"
- Best Direction of a Band: Lisa Mann of Revolver Film Co for The Used "The Bird and the Worm"
- Best Direction of a Female Artist: Wendy Morgan of Revolver Film Co for Dragonette "I Get Around"
- Best Direction of a Male Artist: Jonas Akerlund of Black Dog Films for James Blunt "Same Mistake"
- Best Direction of a New Artist: Ray Tintori of Partizan for MGMT "Time To Pretend"
- Best Video Produced for Under $25,000: Ara Soudjian of Xapnet Productions for Serj Tankian "Money"
- Directorial Debut: Ray Tintori of Partizan for MGMT "Time to Pretend"
- Video of the Year: Patrick Daughters of The Directors Bureau, for Feist "1, 2, 3, 4"
BEST DIRECTION — MUSIC GENRE CATEGORIES
- Adult Contemporary: Drew Lightfoot of Revolver Film Co for Kate Havnevik "Unlike Me"
- Alternative: Brian Savelson for Band of Horses "Is There a Ghost"
- Electronic Music: Michael Haussman of HSI for The Chemical Brothers "Do It Again"
- Hip-Hop: Ara Soudjian of Xapnet Productions for Wiz Khalifa "Say Yeah"
- International: Michel Gondry of Partizan for Paul McCartney "Dance Tonight"
- Pop: Matthew Rolston of @radicalmedia for Christina Aguilera "Candyman"
- R & B: Justin Francis of HSI for Alicia Keys "No One"
- Rock: Tony Petrossian of Rockhard Films for Serj Tankian "Empty Walls"
- Best Art Direction: Evan Rohde of Sheldon Prosnit for Ashlee Simpson "Outta My Head"
- Best Choreography: Noemie Lafrance for Feist "1, 2, 3, 4"
- Best Cinematography: Giles Dunning of Innovative Artists for The White Stripes "Icky Thump"
- Best Colorist/Telecine: Beau Leon of The Syndicate for The White Stripes "Icky Thump"
- Best Computer Effects: Duran Dubbi for Muse "Invincible"
- Best Editing: Mart Morton for The Used "The Bird and the Worm"
- Best Hair: Krystie Aeisiden for Escape The Fate "Situations"
- Best Make-up: Pamela Neal of MMA for My Chemical Romance "I Don’t Love You"
- Best Special Effects: Rozzi Famous Fireworks for Feist "I Feel It All"
- Best Styling: April Roomet for Snoop Dogg "Sensual Seduction"