“Atoms” - debut single of The Chronicles of Manimal and Samara (TCOMAS), was composed as a musical visualisation of a timeline of the world, from its origins to its end. The music video is a kinetic typography animation of over 200 still images comprising digitally manipulated mixed media painted collages of the song's lyrics arranged in sequence with the music.
The video also features animations of paintings done by Daphne Ang and Andrea Papi. The spoken lyrics combines original poems written by the vocalist (Daphne Ang) with extracts from religious and mythological texts as well as elements drawn from some of the greatest thinkers of ancient and modern history.
Formed in late 2019 by members Andrea Papi (Music composition; keyboard, electric bass & guitar) and Daphne Ang (Lyricist; vocals), the London based duo are defining a new realm of sound where poetry and the spoken word meets electronic and rock. Their music integrates the literary (poetry and literature) and the dramatic (Greek theatre) into a sonic space where electronic and rock coexist. Spoken passages alternated with lyrical poetry form the central element of the vocal component.
The spoken lyrics combines original poems written with elements adapted from the following texts:
- The Rg Veda
- The Bible
- The Hermetic Corpus
- The Mystery of Amerginand
- Plato, Phaedo
- William Morris,1885
- Dante Alighieri, Il canto 29 del 'Paradiso'
- William Blake, “On Art and Artists”, in The Poetical Works of William Blake, 1908
- Albert Schweitzer, Zwischen Wasser und Urwald, 1921
- Erich Meissner citing Ernst Niekisch in Germany in Peril, 1942
- Dante Alighieri, Canto 313 The Divine Comedy
- William Blake, “Preface”, in Milton: A Poem, 1804
- Ananda K. Coomaraswamy, What Is Civilisation? 1989
“Atoms” © 2020 The Chronicles of Manimal and Samara / TCOMAS Music Andrea Papi (Composer) / TCOMAS Music Daphne Ang (Lyricist) / TCOMAS Music
Video Written and Directed by Daphne Ang Visual Effects/Animation by Daphne Ang
Artworks Paintings by ELKYMY, Lady Lazarus All illustrations, graphics and animations by TCOMAS Music