These are the videos that caught my eye while scanning over the 200+ music videos that were featured on Video Static this past year. These are the best, or my favorites, or the most creative, or the most important, or some combination of all that. Or not. Just watch em...
The Ten Must Watch Videos Of 2009, in a somewhat particular order:
- Depeche Mode "Wrong" — Patrick Daughters, director
- Lady Gaga "Bad Romance" — Francis Lawrence, director
- Kanye West "Welcome To Hearbreak" — Nabil, director
- Chairlift "Evident Utensil" — Ray Tintori, director
- Charlotte Gainsbourg + Beck "Heaven Can Wait" — Keith Schofield, director
- Lenny Kravitz "Let Love Rule (Justice remix)" — Keith Schofield, director
- Passion Pit "The Reeling" — Hydra, directors
- Matt & Kim "Lessons Learned" — Taylor Cohen + Otto Arsenault, directors
- Oren Lavie "Her Morning Elegance" — Yuval and Merav Nathan with Oren Lavie, directors
- Vampire Weekend "Cousins" — Garth Jennings, director
- Bloc Party "Signs (remix)" — Hiro Murai, director
- Department Of Eagles "No One Does It Like You" — Patrick Daughters + Marcel Dzama, directors
- Major Lazer "Pon De Floor" — Eric Wareheim, director
- Rob Roy "Fur In My Cap" — Ethan Lader, director
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Heads Will Roll" — Richard Ayoade, director
note: All videos listed here have previously been on the site. So, if I never covered it, I didn't consider it here. I also didn't consider the Kanye West and Spike Jonze collaboration "We Were Once A Fairytale" since it's a short film, not a music video. And I also didn't consider anything in which I had any sort of personal involvement. In other words, I was mostly inconsiderate.
Video Static will be on a irregular schedule through January 4, 2010. Thanks for another fine + fun year. Happy holidays!